Sunday, October 24, 2010

Eldar Pirate - Part Two

So, the paint job on the Pirate Lord is complete. I thought the sword looked big in the green-stuff stage, but it looks even bigger painted. I like it. Below is the image I used for the inspiration on the color scheme. I wanted a stormy seas and cartoon look.
I originally wanted to avoid black in this army since I think it lacks depth (since you can't shade it) but I couldn't imagine pirates without a healthy amount of black. As a compromise, I decided to go ahead and include black, but highlight with color (in this case blue) rather than the usually shades of gray. As with the Eldar, I'm sticking with the Non Metallic Metals. To kick up the painting a notch, I've decided to include color transitions in the highlights. For example; rather than blue highlighting to light blue, it will fade to a purple (see back of cloak). Below are the before and after shots. I still need to make a suitably fancy base to call this model complete.

2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! The colors have a very nautical theme to them, and the cloak and sword turned out great!

    Don't be discouraged because of the Dark Eldar "sails". They are puny little add-ons for flair. You can do better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention the sails. I actually plan to redo them to the doubledecker, rectangular versions (a la The Black Pearl). I can picture myself with plasticard in one hand and heat gun in other right now. I have a Raider on preorder right now.

    ReplyDelete