Sunday, June 14, 2009

GW Stores - I see a trend

As you may have noticed from the pictures over the last three blogs, these GW stores look very similar. GW must have a formula when creating these stores, because they share many of the same traits--here is what I've noticed so far:
1. They are each shaped like 20'x80' hallways with product on the walls, a demo table near the front, and the open table gaming at the rear.
2. They each have a painting table near the center of the store with one or two carousels of paint pots (which are free to use if you bring your own brushes, etc)
3. The staff is amazingly friendly. Although they never let you forget that there are wondrous models, books, and supplies to be purchased; they are constantly looking for a way to answer questions, get customers involved, and keep the store energized.
4. Each store boasts a month-long calendar full of events. Days that aren't occupied with gaming events host painting or assembly instruction classes.

It makes me sad and a bit curious why there are zero GW stores in Florida. These stores definitely seem to inspire a very "Hard Liner" style of hobbying: solid painting/modeling, friendly gaming, and enthusiasm for sharing painting/playing experiences/skills. I guess the area needs to reach a certain population density and/or have a significant number of foul weather days during the year (to keep people involved in indoor activities). Most of Florida fails to meet either criteria and I guess areas like Orlando, Tampa, and Miami, although crowded, are still too spread out to meet critical mass.
Although I’ve just begun to explore the local hobby scene, my initial impression has made me very optimistic. Although I don’t anticipate playing in the stores frequently, I do look forward to a regular visit to find new opponents and participate in the store’s various painting challenges.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are getting around. Any luck finding a new place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to the stores in Nashville and Phoenix, and I concur with your observations. I don't know why a market like Orlando can't support a GW store. The regular fandom/comic stores do well enough, and they all have die-hard GW gamers.

    ReplyDelete