Sunday, September 27, 2009

Yes I am Still Working On the Elves

I know I have been a bit absent in posts lately but I have continued to work on my High Elves. So per the suggestion of Teflon I have tried a elf in gold. I am not sure how I feel about it. The color is definitly warmer and seems to fit the red a bit better, but I am not sure I like it more. I haven't finished the shield yet maybe that will help the overall effect. I am also not completely happy with how my gold turned out. For my first attempt I don't think it is horrible. My next try I think will have more red in the dark parts of the gold. Please let me know what you think.


Painting however has taken up very little of the time I have spent on modeling lately. I have been trying to assemble enough elves to field a decent size army so I can begin playing and learning. This of course involves a ton of cutting, filing, glueing, basing, priming, and adding magnets/metal bits. All of these things turn out to be very time consuming, I am however making progress. As you can see I currently have 20 archers, 20 spearman, 5 silver helms, a war machine, 2 mages, a noble, and 15 swordsmen assembled and primed. There is still alot to go but that is far more then I had a week ago.

I have also created what I think to be a very neat case. I used a plastic tube, like I see many people do. However I made a few improvement. I have added a cookie tray that connects to magnets on the bottom of the bin. This keeps it from sliding around in the bin but allows me to safely place it inside without fear of it moving violently. Additionally I have magnitized all my models to their movement trays or added magnets to the individual models. Additionally I added magnets to the bottom of the movement trays. All of this allows me to attach the completed units to the metal cookie tray, securing them in place. This seems to work pretty well but takes a pretty good amount of effort to setup. If I end up needing more space its only a $6 cookie tray and $4 bin away.



Thats it for now I will let you know how i progress and don't forget to tell me what you think of the gold spearman.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I think they look good at a distance, but up close (i.e. the full-res. photo) they look a little odd, because of how you use layering to get the overall color. I think the unit will look awesome when they are all painted like that.

    I have the same problem with all NMM painted miniatures (since you are supposed to see them from a certain angle).

    One question. That gem on his hand looks mighty nice, but won't it be covered by a shield? :-)

    ReplyDelete