Sunday, December 5, 2010

Dark Eldar Pirate Ship


I finally finished my first Dark Eldar Raider and I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed. First of all, this was a very difficult model to paint due to all of the hard lines that had to be covered and the fact that it had to remain almost entirely disassembled during the entire painting process. Second, it ended up being a dark model even though I tried to mitigate this effect through high contrast. Third, the model is just not as sleek as the Eldar Wave Serpents I'm used to painting.
The blue to purple fade seems to have worked fairly well on the hull. I plan to repeat this theme on all the Raiders and use a blue to green fade on the Ravagers.
The original plan for the sails included a pair of masts with double sails but it turned out to be crowded when I put them in place. The gunner in the front was almost completely obscuring the art on the lower sail, so I decided to break them apart and only use the single mast, centered in the deck. I think I will go back to the two-mast design on the Ravager, to set them apart from the Raiders. However, I won't put art on the lower sails.
I think I'm going to move to troops for while, before returning to the vehicles. Next up, the wyches.

2 comments:

  1. Your sails are way more impressive than the GW ones. Is that free-hand art on the sails?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freehand? yes and no. I first drew the pictures on the sail with pencil and then painted over them; adding shading and highlight to where I thought they would fall. However, the art is not original and is taken from icons and symbols from the DE book. The only think original is the swords I added.

    ReplyDelete