Sunday, July 13, 2014

Dedicated to the Airbrush 1

Despite my gap in posts, there has been quite a bit of painting going on.  Kenneth finally pressured me into setting up a photo station and snapping some pics.  The next series of posts will go into the details but the theme running through nearly all my recent projects is a love for the airbrush.  I first mentioned my fascination two years ago when I used the airbrush to base and shade the druid/bear model in the Super Dungeon Explore.  I now use it to apply the base coat to nearly all of the models and perform the majority of the shading and highlights for the larger ones. It is much faster and leaves no brush strokes.  Here is a picture of me in my "setup".  I've basically positioned myself next to my kitchen sink so I can easily rinse parts.  I use a 3-part science fair display board to block overspray (the airbrush hose penetrates the board to reach the compressor behind) and I line the counter with newspaper.  I wear a nitrol glove on my left hand and a respirator.  Despite the fact that I'm primarily using acrylic paints, there are some nasty chemicals in the spray that you don't want to inhale.  Even though you won't smell them, you will inhale them (as evidenced by the Dark Angel Green snot I had the day I realized I needed the respirator).

No comments:

Post a Comment