Sunday, July 13, 2014

Dedicated to Airbrush 2: Eldar

Not Airbrushed
Large Eldar models seem the perfect candidates for concentrated airbrush attention.  I love to use high contrast fades and creating these with a brush is hard to do evenly and without stroke marks on the large surfaces.  I wish I had the airbrush while I was working on my Dark Eldar, because I tried to do a smooth brush fade with less than optimal results.  See the pic of the panels on my Razorwing's wing (to right).  Not only are the transitions rough, but this took a lot of time.  The below images of my Eldar were painted with the airbrush and show much more satisfying results.

My only regret is that I didn't put enough contrast in the fades (ie. they are dark blue to light blue rather than midnight blue up to sky blue) especially on the Crimson Hunter (below).  After the first few projects, I began to notice that the intensity of the color, straight out of the airbrush and still mostly wet, is more opaque than when it drys.  Therefore, the high contrast I thought I had painted became much more subtle upon drying.

Airbrushing more than one of the colors on a model is an art in itself.  The simplest method is to paint the individual pieces before assembling it and the more creative method involves masking.  Masking can be done with templates, tape, or paint-on latex.  I did some simple tape masking on the crimson hunter and painted the Wraithlord and Wraithknight in parts. 





No comments:

Post a Comment