Friday, April 23, 2010

OSL Fire Prism - Update 1

I've been slowly making progress on the tank. Below is a picture of the painting accomplished thus far. I started on the crystal and then experimented with the illumination of green light on the blue, black, and tan colors. This was not as straightforward as I thought. I initially tried to represent the green illumination on the blue with a turquoise color which looked pretty good at first. However, when I moved to the black parts, I went with a straight translation of the emerald and lime green color from the crystal onto the black and this clashed with the turquoise. Nevertheless, I found that a glaze of the lime green over the brightest parts of the turquoise looked good and will now use that for the rest of the tank.
Illuminating light colors is one of the areas where OSL can break down. You need to make sure that the illumination patches are always brighter than the base color of the part or it will not look believable. Therefore, illumination of the green light on the tan was represented with a very light tint (lots of white mixed in) of the lime green with white on the hardlines.
Next up is the main part of the turret; to include the canopy. I'm curious to see how accurately I can represent the reflection of the crystal in the glass.
More to come....

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the effect on the canopy.

    ReplyDelete