Sunday, May 23, 2010

OSL Fire Prism - Update 4

I'd say that I'm about 85% done--with all of the crystal glow effects complete. The remaining painting includes the entire undercarriage and the base. Since the average view of the model will see only 10% of the undercarriage, I'm very reluctant to put a lot of work into it. I've seen some artists go nuts with glow effects from the bottom vents and so forth, but you'd never see this work unless you lifted and flipped the model. Therefore, I'm just going to concentrate on the engines and the back door. I plan to make the engines appear as though there is blue glow coming from within. On the back door, I intend to paint an Iyanden rune. The tank comes with a stock decal that fits perfectly, but I haven't decided whether I will apply and then paint over the decal or just go pure freehand.Below are two pictures of the tank so far.

Since Update 3; the engine intakes, the blue hull panels, and the nose weapon have been painted. The blue blending gave me a surprising amount of difficulty. After several hours of repainting I believe the problem I was having stemmed from the middle shade of blue paint. It seemed to have a higher-than-average pigment density that made it difficult to create a gradient as I dragged the brush. The dark blue I was using worked much better, so I did the whole blue blend dragging this darker shade over the medium blue in a hundred successive, very thin layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment