Monday, May 31, 2010

OSL Fire Prism - Update 7

The tank is completely painted and glued together. I just need to finish adding terrain to the base of the stand and the model will be complete. While waiting for some of the rocks to dry, I went ahead and snapped a few more photos. Below are some new views of the finished version.
Some quick notes with regard to the photos themselves... For most of this series, I left the light studio on the shelf and instead, took advantage of the great natural light that pours into the huge windows in our 15th floor condo. When the photos are taken around noon, the light bouncing around the living room creates a nearly shadow free zone near the center of the room. The spectrum and diffuse lighting has made for the easiest mini picture taking I've ever done. I simply set the camera to macro lens and clicked away multiple shots (I didn't even use a tripod). With the photo studio, I had to carefully direct the lamps and continual tweak the camera's aperture and color settings.

2 comments:

  1. After posting these images, I have to admit that I stared at the photo on my computer monitor for a long time. Something was bothering me.
    It turns out, I don't like how light the canopies are. It seems that they should appear much darker (as light goes in and not out which is why we don't see the crew inside). Throughout the course of Monday, I repainted both canopies twice to get closer to what I was envisioning. The reflections of the crystal remain unchanged but they are now much darker with a black to purple to blue transition. I'll post updated photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I can't wait to see the new pictures. You are very fortunate so have such good natural lighting, however I do actually like these last images better (particularly the bottom right).

    ReplyDelete