Saturday, May 29, 2010

OSL Fire Prism - Update 6

I'd say that I'm about 80% complete with the engine glow effect. There is something that I just don't like, but I don't know what it is yet. A suggestion for those wishing to try something similar: don't glue the two pieces of the lower hull together before painting them. The inside of the engine nozzles would be much easier to reach if they were not already combined and trying to blend the interior or a tube is not easy. I don't really like how it turned out, but I don't think I can make it look much better. The below picture shows the results so far. The top image shows the results of my initial plan, however, something looked missing when I looked into the engine nozzle and couldn't see anything that could be the source of the blue glow. The lower image is my tentative fix. It uses the back half of an Imperial search light casing (from old tank accessory sprue) to represent the engine's flame cone within the nozzle. The problem is that the nozzle casts a shadow on the flame cone and ruins the OSL effect a bit.
Please let me know which version you think looks better. I think I like the lower version.

2 comments:

  1. Both look good, but I think the lower one looks more realistic. Tanks looking great can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly said the bottom is awesomely better as well! :)

    ReplyDelete